Shadow Vale Forums: D&D 4.0, OGL, and GSL - Shadow Vale Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

D&D 4.0, OGL, and GSL Dintiradan... providing outdated commentary since 2006!

#1 User is offline   Dintiradan Icon

• Skribbane Smuggler
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 11 December 2009 - 05:40 PM

So after years of maintaining he'd never upgrade from 3.0 to 3.5, our DM has decided to move our group on to 4.0. A couple of us proposed the move about a year back, which he rejected. Since then, though, he found a good deal on the new books and a buyer for his old books (he better not have sold my PHB that was living at his house...).

So, anyway, I'm looking at building a new character (likely Cleric, as I've never played a healer before). I'm playing around with the character builder, but I'd rather have the rules spread out in front of me, rather than use a wizard (what can I say -- I'm a minmaxer). I try to find the new System Reference Document, like the one they made freely available for 3.5. It seems to be... neutered.

Boo!

I guess the Open Gaming Licence was too good to last. Being able to reproduce almost all stats freely was great, for players. I can understand why Wizards of the Coast is moving to a more restrictive licence. On the other hand, I think the OGL was the biggest reason why 3.x has so much third party content. Is WotC/Hasbro trying to corner that market with a more restrictive, revocable licence?

Ah well, there's always 3.0/3.5... and Pathfinder (website / Wikipedia / LoadingReadyRun).
IPB Image

#2 User is offline   Randomizer Icon

• Ineffectual Mayor No. 352
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 December 2009 - 01:30 PM

It doesn't surprise me that they are getting more restrictive. They let their license to Kenzer & Comapny for using AD&D 1st and 2nd edition material in Hackmaster expire too. Control is key when most player just buy the core material and then go to other sources for the adventures.

I don't know why your GM is getting rid of his old books since you can usually adapt older versions to the new one.

#3 User is offline   Ephesos Icon

• Voice of Reason
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 January 2010 - 03:05 AM

I'm perplexed. This document appears to be pretty much useless. All it has is names.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Cethin skin by Eric Colon.
logo