• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Whole Again Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is online   Niemand Icon

• Ineffectual Mayor No. 352
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 30 March 2011 - 10:20 PM

I just got back my laptop from over two weeks of waiting for it to be repaired. I am absurdly happy.

During the interim I've had an old laptop to use, but it's a PowerBook dating from sometime around 2003, and while it's in great condition (having not been mine until a couple of years ago) the difference between using a 2.5 GHz Core 2 Duo and a 1.0 Ghz G4 processor is rather noticeable. (It does also suffer from one hardware problem, which is that the tab, return, down arrow, space and escape keys don't work, which gets annoying fast.)

The long waiting time to get my good computer back seems to have been a misunderstanding; apparently the people at the Apple repair center didn't notice the note that they should send an email rather than calling me on the phone, so the machine has been sitting in the back room of the local Apple retail store since the 18th. The repairs themselves were supposed to be fairly simple (the wireless card and right speaker didn't work and the optical drive had a disk stuck in it), but it turns out that they decided to replace the wireless card, speaker, optical drive, logic board, keyboard, and both halves of the laptop's case. The only components they didn't replace (aside from minor components) were the screen and hard-drive, of which the screen was already a replacement. This leaves the hard-drive as the only significant, original component in the machine; so I've basically gotten a new 2008 Macbook Pro for free. I think that for the $350 extended warranty they ended up giving me something like $4000 of new (or refurbished well enough to be indistinguishable-from-new) parts.

The one downside of this was that the repair center folks seem to have lost my Matlab disk, which had been stuck in the old optical drive (I'm suspicious that they just never bothered to get it out of the old drive). I'm not particularly upset, though, since it was a several year old copy and only worked from the command line at this point since the GUI was PPC only (it used its own JVM which failed to work under Rosetta).

#2 User is offline   Dintiradan Icon

• Skribbane Smuggler
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 31 March 2011 - 12:13 PM

Nice.

I can't remember the last time I used the Matlab GUI. As much as possible, I try to treat it as a scripting language. Though to be technical, I haven't used Matlab itself in a long while; I use Octave instead.
IPB Image

#3 User is offline   Tyranicus Icon

• Celtic Pride
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 03 April 2011 - 08:36 AM

Yeah, AppleCare is well worth the money. I've had the screen replaced on my late 2008 MacBook Pro not once but twice.
How could you not be madly in love with Tyran? —Andraste
I for one welcome our new glacier overlords. —Arancaytar
I love you. Now eat my semen. —Nikki

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Cethin skin by Eric Colon.
logo